[XeTeX] Combining NFSS fonts and OTF fonts with XeLaTeX and fontspec

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 07:11:09 CEST 2009

On 2009-06-09 20:51:26 +0930, "Zwam, S.H.M. van"
<s.h.m.v.zwam at tue.nl> said:

> I want to use the "Charis SIL" font (actually, another font that I
> intend to purchase, but let's keep things simple) for my regular text,
> bold, and small caps, but the font specified by mathdesign for italic
> and bold italic. These fonts are provided in my MikTeX installation, in
> the folders
>
> fonts\type1\bitstrea\charter\bchri8a.pfb

I wouldn't really recommend this approach. The problem is that your
italic and bold italic fonts will be in a different encoding that the
main text. So even if it were possible to set this up in fontspec (I
think there might be some issues with the way ExternalLocation works
that will prevent you from using it for the italic font only), I'm
hesitant to try and support this sort of behaviour.

Having said all this, in Windows you should be able to install the .pfb
font as a font recognised by the operating system and then follow
Ulrike's advice. This is impossible in Mac OS X, unfortunately (.pfb is
too antiquated for it).

Cheers,
Will