[XeTeX] Combining grapheme joiner

Benct Philip Jonsson bpj at melroch.se
Wed Jun 10 14:15:51 CEST 2009

It seems XeTeX ignores the combining grapheme
joiner (CGJ, U+034F), specifically when it's said
that

"In the case of several consecutive combining
diacritics, an intervening CGJ indicates that they
should not be stacked but placed horizontally"

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combining_grapheme_joiner>

That simply doesn't happen. Is it perhaps the
fonts' responsibility and they are at fault?

I may have posted about this before -- it bugs me
since I occasionally need especially an e with a
dot and acute accent placed beside eachother
rather than stacked (the stacked version being
hardly legible, apart from being wrong.

Could someone please suggest a TeX macro for
placing two diacritics beside each other over a
letter, and which places the diacritics correctly
if the letter is a capital?

/BP 8^)>