[XeTeX] Combining NFSS fonts and OTF fonts with XeLaTeX and fontspec

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 07:30:44 CEST 2009

On 2009-06-09 18:28:47 +0930, Peter Dyballa
<Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> said:

> Am 09.06.2009 um 08:44 schrieb Will Robertson:
>
>> Are you sure this works? If so, it's a fluke, and might not work in
>> the future. Font features should be activated with ItalicFeatures= {},
>> and so on.
>
> Yes, for this particular Mac OS X font it works.

You shouldn't try to use XeTeX font feature commands in association
with fontspec fonts. Instead of
    [...] ItalicFont={HiraMinPro-W3:+ital} [...]
write something like this instead:
    ItalicFont=HiraMinPro-W3,ItalicFeatures={RawFeature=+ital}

The reason being that fontspec will often try to prepend XeTeX font
options to the font name, such as /B to get bold italic or /ICU when
selecting the renderer. If you're loading an external font then the
whole thing will be wrapped in square brackets. None of these will work
properly if you've got ":+ital" after the font name itself.

Having said all this, I could consider parsing the fontname and moving
any XeTeX font features into the RawFeature field automatically. Would
this be useful, do you think?

Will