[XeTeX] Combining NFSS fonts and OTF fonts with XeLaTeX and fontspec

Zwam, S.H.M. van s.h.m.v.zwam at tue.nl
Tue Jun 9 13:21:26 CEST 2009

> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 16:14:23 +0930
> From: Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com>
> To: xetex at tug.org
> Subject: Re: [XeTeX] Combining NFSS fonts and OTF fonts with XeLaTeX
> 	and	fontspec
>
> Hi,
>
> On 2009-06-09 00:09:56 +0930, "Zwam, S.H.M. van"
> <s.h.m.v.zwam at tue.nl> said:
>
> > Before making my purchase I have been experimenting, but I cannot
> > figure out how to tell XeLaTeX/fontspec what to use. I work
> in Windows,
> > and the font does not come installed on my machine, except in the
> > MikTeX LaTeX installation. I have tried \setmainfont{Charis
> SIL} as an
> > alternative, but it does not look nearly as good as
> > \usepackage[charter]{mathdesign} (it seems to be slightly
> bigger and
> > darker).
>
> What's the exact problem you're having? There shouldn't be (too much
> of) a problem writing
>     \usepackage[charter]{mathdesign}% set maths fonts
>     \setmainfont{Charis SIL}% set text font
> unless I'm mistaken.

I probably did not make myself clear. I want to use the "Charis SIL" font (actually, another font that I intend to purchase, but let's keep things simple) for my regular text, bold, and small caps, but the font specified by mathdesign for italic and bold italic. These fonts are provided in my MikTeX installation, in the folders

fonts\type1\bitstrea\charter\bchri8a.pfb

and

fonts\tfm\bitstrea\charter\bchri7t.tfm (and several other .tfm files, with last two characters 8c, 8r, 8t).

I do not know how to specify this font to ItalicFont. The following code in my document:

 \usepackage[no-math]{fontspec}
 \usepackage{xunicode}
 \usepackage{xltxtra}
\usepackage[bitstream-charter]{mathdesign}
\setmainfont[ItalicFont={bchri}]{Charis SIL}

Gives the following error message:

! Font \@tempfontb=bchri/ICU at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file or insta
lled font not found.
\\zf at make@font at shapes ...f at suffix " at \f at size pt
                                                  \edef \@tempb {\fontname \...
l.259 \setmainfont[ItalicFont={bchri}]{Charis SIL}

! Cannot use \XeTeXOTcountfeatures with nullfont; not an OpenType Layout font.
\zf at check@ot at feat ...OTcountfeatures \zf at basefont
                                                  \c at zf@script \c at zf@languag...

(and a hundred more of similar lines)

If I replace "bchri" in that code by "Comic Sans MS" then everything works as expected.

By the way, thanks a lot for the time you've already taken to reply, and most of all for the development you've done: with XeLaTeX the future of maths typesetting looks bright!

Kind regards,

Stefan.