[XeTeX] Combining NFSS fonts and OTF fonts with XeLaTeX and fontspec

Zwam, S.H.M. van s.h.m.v.zwam at tue.nl
Mon Jun 8 16:39:56 CEST 2009

Dear all,

I want to use some features of the professional version of the Charter font: small caps and old-style numerals. I'm also a bit of a cheapskate, and figured that I can get away with buying only the ITC Charter Regular and ITC Charter Bold typefaces. For the italic and bold italic faces I would like to use the open-sourced version that is included with TeX. Moreover, I want to use the mathdesign package to typeset my mathematics.

Before making my purchase I have been experimenting, but I cannot figure out how to tell XeLaTeX/fontspec what to use. I work in Windows, and the font does not come installed on my machine, except in the MikTeX LaTeX installation. I have tried \setmainfont{Charis SIL} as an alternative, but it does not look nearly as good as \usepackage[charter]{mathdesign} (it seems to be slightly bigger and darker).

Cheers,

Stefan.