[XeTeX] Ligatures question

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 2 18:20:37 CEST 2009

Hello Nicolas

You shouldn't use them for Latin either!  They're often found in old editions but are deplored nowadays on linguistic grounds:  quite different from æ in Old English or Danish, say.  OK, of course, if you're reproducing an early edition for some reason, but if you are just citing a text that happened to be printed with the ligatures in the old edition you are using, normal scholarly practice would be to give it without the ligatures.

Yannis (hint - PLEASE let me have my font book back!) has put you right re French. We might add the diaeresis to separate the vowel sounds in that language:   Moët & Chandon.

John