[XeTeX] Typesetting a Bible

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 9 09:09:42 CEST 2009

Hello

I don't use LaTeX but have not had any problem with double-columned footnotes using edmac (just \input edmac near the top of the file).

In one job here is what I had for these footnotes, which were invoked with \edn{TEXT OF FOOTNOTE}.  (NB this was years ago - the code could be spruced up a lot, but it does work, as you will see if you consult the prelims to volume I of the Princeton edition of Coleridge's Poems.)

\def\ednotefmt#1#2#3{%
   \widowpenalty=0 \clubpenalty=0
   \let\par=\endgraf
   \hsize=11.5pc
   \tolerance=5000
   \ednotetext
   \rightskip=0pt
   \leftskip=\rightskip
   \parindent=8.5pt
   \parfillskip=0pt plus 1fil
   \vrule height 7.5pt depth 1.5pt width 0pt
   #3\vrule height 0pt depth 1.5pt width 0pt
   \goodbreak}

In that job, as you see, widows and orphans were both allowed, but you can set the penalties to 10000 if you disallow them (I'd recommend allowing orphans though).  You would have to set the \hsize and \parindent to whatever it is you require.  And 7.5pt and 1.5pt might have to be tweaked if you are getting uneven interlinear space in the font you happen to be using for footnotes.

I also needed:

\foottwocol{A}
\let\Afootfmt=\ednotefmt
\let\ed=\Afootnote
\let\Afootnoterule=\relax
\skip\Afootins=9pt plus 12pt minus 3pt

And, for keying in the footnote material itself:

\def\edn#1{\global \advance \ednotenumber by 1%
{\sup\the\ednotenumber}%
\text{}\ed{{\ednotetext
\the \ednotenumber}\kern 0.5em #1}/}

I can't remember why, but I think I was getting some slight riding up of the first column.  Anyway it was fixed by:

\def\balancerule{\vrule height8.5pt depth0pt width0pt}% MANUAL STRUT TO
%   FORCE DOWN FIRST COLUMN OF EDITORIAL NOTES

You might not need that.

\ednotetext was just my definition of footnote-sized text:  you would want to substitute whatever it is you use for that size.

I think I also needed

\def\notefontsetup{\ednotetext}

(Instead of \ednotetext use whatever you use to call the footnote-sized text.)

Hope this helps a bit - but if you are dead set on pre-written LaTeX packages the above may not work for you.

There is surely no way you are getting a line-break after the verse numbers unless you've introduced a space with some bit of coding.  A simple font call such as {\bold 1}~SOME TEXT  will always keep the bold numeral attached to the following text.  You will get potential line-breaks if you have a space before ~ (and even a line-break doesn't occur I think you will get a double-sized space at this point in the line).  Or, of course, if somewhere you or a package has redefined ~ itself (hope not!).

As to the two-line numeral at the start, the size is usually a matter of trial and error, since you want a numeral which (to the eye) will precisely equal the visual height of two lines of adjacent text, inclusive of the \baselineskip between them but *not* including any notional height above the size of a capital letter on the first line.  You might end up specifying that it has to be in a peculiar point size such as 20.375 or whatever, to get it just right.  Then define that font as \dropcapfont:

\font \dropcapfont = "Times New Roman Bold" at 20.375pt

Once that is done, it's fairly simple to code (the following assumes that you want 9pt after the dropcap number, otherwise just change it to whatever looks nice):

\def\dropnum#1{\leaveavmode
      \noindent \setbox0=\hbox{\dropcapfont #1}\copy0
      \kern 9pt  \hangindent \wd0 \advance \hangindent by 9pt \hangafter -2 \ignorespaces}

You would then just give at the start of each Bible chapter:

\dropnum{1} In the beginning.......

Hope this gives you some ideas at least!

John