[XeTeX] Character mangling in verbatim environments

Brian Aydemir brian.aydemir at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 20:37:10 CEST 2009

Hi everyone,
I have a verbatim environment with text that includes character sequences
such as

[1] --- (three dashes in a row)
[2] -- (two dashes in a row)
[3] '' (two single quotes)

Outside a verbatim environment, LaTeX will typeset these as an em-dash,
en-dash, and a double quote.  Inside a verbatim environment, I expect these
sequences to be typeset as they are.

When I use XeLaTeX, these sequences are still typeset as an em-dash and so
on inside a verbatim environment.  Does anyone here have any ideas as to
what is going on?  I feel like I might have read about this somewhere, but I
can't find where.

Thanks for any help,
Brian