[XeTeX] index' proofmode and ledmac (OT)

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Sun Jul 5 20:53:03 CEST 2009

Hello Florian

Well I rather think that if an author - even a long-dead and not necessarily
very competent or interesting one - took the trouble to write  a text, then
the first duty of hrs modern readers is to attempt to replicate the
experience of the intended original audience by reading it continuously, and
that basic task should be facilitated rather than obstructed by the edition,
whatever further critical duties are imposed on it.

Some time ago I had a brief look at ledmac and ledpar though as I recall
these are intended for LaTeX users, and I have always adhered to 'plain'
TeX.  I think manual page breaks are inevitable in a parallel edition of a
prose text in any case because one has to intervene manually in order to
find the best possible point at which to make the breaks so that, as far as
possible, the reader (in either the original or the  translation) can glance
across the page to see what the original/translation has at that point, so
one doesn't want the texts getting out of sync except for a few words.  This
can't be handled by a computer, I think.  I spent a lot of time gazing up at
the ceiling trying to imagine how one might get TeX to treat the page-spread
rather than a single page as its unit for gathering together and
distributing the annotation, but I couldn't conceptualize what is required
in a way that one could then convert to TeX macros to do the job
automatically (particularly if one then wants to separate the two halves of
the facing page, complete with cropmarks, for production of the final PDF).
It's even harder if one wants to insist (as is usually the case) that the
apparatus criticus is on the left-hand page only while any editorial
annnotation is allowed to be distributed between the left- and right-hand
pages.  And then, of course, one wants to have arabic note-cues in the
translation as well as in the original, so that those following the text in
translation can at least have easy access to the editorial notes with cues
placed at the right point in the translation.  And one wants to allow the
\baselineskip to be flexible on the translation page so that it can squeeze
up or space out to achieve an even page-depth, depending on how well the
translation is keeping up with the original .  It all seems too complex to
stand any chance of getting TeX to do the job by itself, however much coding
one was prepared to introduce.  (But I spell it out here in case anybody is
up to the challenge!)

Perhaps at least my idea of introducing small-type sequences into the main
text might bear a little fruit?  You could state at the start that readers
who want to read the base text (however you have chosen to define that) can
read through the large-type text ignoring the small-type passages; those
interested in variant or substituted versions will of course want to read
the small-type passages also, but I take it that they would not then have a
smooth grammatical or contextual ride since these passages would disrupt the
flow.  But if they are clearly down-sized that should not be too
problematic, and it would at least be a physically more comfortable
experience than casting the eye up and down between text and apparatus.  If
there are different categories of small-type sections, you could expand the
use of double brackets - e.g. [[ ]] for one category, << >> for another (NB
prefer tall angle brackets to mathematical acute-angled ones!), perhaps \\
// for inserts above the line, // \\ for those below (the latter are pinched
from the British Library medieval library catalogue series conventions), and
so on.  A list of sigla just before the text itself would allow readers
quickly to refresh their memory when consulting the edition (rather than
reading it continuously).

If all else fails, take the editor to the pub and ask hrm to demonstrate how
s/he would go about getting a quart of liquid into a pint-pot.  When s/he
fails, tell hrm that this is the task s/he is expecting you to perform......

John