[XeTeX] Font not found error

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 2 17:00:30 CEST 2009

On 2 Jul 2009, at 15:43, Fr. Michael Gilmary wrote:

> Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> What happens if you try using the name "TeXGyreTermes", without
>> spaces? i.e., change the example to
>

> The following is the message I get:
>
> (/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/fontspec/
> fontspec.cfg))
> kpathsea: Running mktextfm TeXGyreTermes
> /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Could not map source
> abbreviation T for TeXGyreTermes.
> /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Need to update /usr/
> local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/skak/special.map?
> mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
> nonstopmode; input TeXGyreTermes
> This is METAFONT, Version 2.718281 (Web2C 7.5.7)
>
> kpathsea: Running mktexmf TeXGyreTermes
>
> ! I can't find file `TeXGyreTermes'.
> <*> ...r; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input TeXGyreTermes
>                                                Please type another
> input file name
> ! Emergency stop.
> <*> ...r; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input TeXGyreTermes
>                                                Transcript written on
> mfput.log.
> grep: TeXGyreTermes.log: No such file or directory
> mktextfm: `mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode;
> input TeXGyreTermes' failed to make TeXGyreTermes.tfm.
> kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
>
> ! Font \zf at basefont=TeXGyreTermes at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric
> (TFM) file or
> installed font not found.
> \zf at fontspec ...ntname \zf at suffix " at \f at size pt
>                                                 \unless \ifzf at icu
> \zf at set@...
> l.5 ...tex-text,Ligatures={Common}]{TeXGyreTermes}
>                                                ?
> Process aborted
>
> That's for the "corrected" font.

Odd, I thought that had a fair chance of working. (Are you sure
everything font-related was flushed after any shuffling around of
different versions? I'd recommend clearing the caches and even
restarting the system, just to be on the safe side.)

Looking at the "corrected" fonts received from both Fr Michael and
Peter, I notice that the font names have been significantly altered.
In particular, the "family" name (ID 1) has been changed from "TeX
Gyre Termes" to "TeXGyreTermes" (which is why I made this suggestion);
the "full" name (ID 4) has been changed from "TeX Gyre Termes" to
"TeXGyreTermes-Regular" (in the case of the regular face, obviously);
and a "preferred family" name (ID 16) has been added with the original
name "TeX Gyre Termes".

My guess was that perhaps Leopard finds the font successfully via the
"preferred" name, but ATSUI on Tiger might be using the older "family"
name. But maybe it's not that simple.

Nevertheless, it looks like something is modifying the font names in
an undesirable way: this is presumably a bug in either the Python
script people are using, or the underlying Fontforge itself - I
haven't looked into either of them to try and pin it down, though.