[XeTeX] index' proofmode and ledmac (OT)

Florian Grammel florian.grammel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 16:37:21 CEST 2009

I've noticed that some people in here use ledmac in combination with
XeLaTeX. As I don't know of any specific list or forum for ledmac
(might be we should start one?), I hope I'll be forgiven for this sort-
of OT questions:

I'm using the index-package and xindy to build a multi-part index of
the edition, which works fine.
But \proofmodetrue doesn‘t only put the entries in the margin, but
also adds one oddly spaced lineskip after every line with an index-
entry in the line-numbered text. This is  probably because the index-
package uses the ordinary marginpar-mechanism, which is incompatible
with ledmac.
Is there any possibility to make index use the ledsidenote-mechanism
instead, so that proofmodetrue will give me a page-identical output?

Another question, which I've asked earlier on comp.text.tex to no
avail is:

Some of the footnotes in the critical apparatus are very long, a few
even filling more than one page. If I understand ledmac's manual
correctly (do I?) paragraphed footnotes can never be broken across two
pages.
The only solution I've found until now, is to split the long footnote
into two completely independent edtext-commands (the second one with
an empty lemma) by trial-and-error. This is a tedious process giving
less-than-perfect results. If anyone has come up with a better
procedure, I'd be more than happy to hear about it.

Best regards
Florian.

Florian Grammel

Gentofte, Denmark