[XeTeX] ttf and otf?

Ross A. Laird ross at rosslaird.info
Wed Jul 1 03:55:52 CEST 2009

I am a novice user, so this may be something simple, but here is the
situation: I had xetex working perfectly on my system, but then (I think
this is the cause, but I'm not at all certain) I converted some OpenType
fonts to TrueType (so I could use them in OpenOffice) but left them in
the same directory. So I have foo.otf and foo.ttf. Now, when I run
xetex, and depending on the font (some seem to be fine) many or all of
the characters are completely messed up. Is it possible that having
similar filenames is the cause of this problem? I am on Ubuntu, so my
system has had many other changes as well, but this is the only one I
can think of that might affect fonts and xetex. I know I can specify the
exact filename for xetex to use, and that's what I plan to do next, as
an experiment, but I thought I would ask about it first, in case this is
a common issue (I doubt it).

Describing what "messed up" above means is tricky. The letters are all
wrong, basically: the wrong letter shows in every place, and there are
wide spaces at random (seemingly). So, the document is completely
incomprehensible. But when I compile it, I get no errors at all.

Thanks in advance for the help. And, anticipating the "minimal example"
request, here's one:

 \TeXXeTstate=1
\documentclass[10pt,DIV09,letterpaper,oneside,headsepline]{scrreprt}
 \usepackage{fontspec,xunicode}
 \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
 \setmainfont{Sabon LT Std}
\setsansfont{Myriad Pro}
% \usepackage{hyperref}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\pagestyle{headings}
\usepackage{epigraph}
\usepackage{url}
\usepackage{titling}
\date{}
\pretitle{}
\title{\Large{University 1100\\}\vspace{.10in}}
\posttitle{}
\author{\large{Summer 2009}}
\begin{document}
\begin{center}
\maketitle
\end{center}
\tableofcontents

\chapter{University 1100: Introduction to University Studies}
Instructors:\\
Sarah Hickinbottom, PhD\\
Ross Laird, PhD\\
Email: sarah.hickinbottom at kwantlen.ca\\
Email: ross at rosslaird.com\\
Location: Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Richmond Campus\\
Schedule: Weekdays, 13:00-14:30\\
July 7 to August 28, 2009\\

\section{Goals, Objectives, Principles}

This course is designed to help students understand the purpose and
values of higher education; to cultivate the skills, strategies,
abilities, and traits that enable success in post-secondary education
and beyond; and to feel more confident in their university studies. The
course is highly experiential and encourages students to reflect on why
they are in university, what they hope to gain from the experience, and
how they wish to work actively to achieve their personal, academic, and
professional goals.

\end{document}

This document compiles on my system without any trouble, gives no
warnings or errors, and delivers a completely incomprehensible document.

--
Ross A. Laird, PhD
Chair, Department of Creative Writing