[XeTeX] How to use ligatures for TTF fonts?

Adam Twardoch list.adam at twardoch.com
Fri Jan 30 19:57:02 CET 2009

Adam Twardoch wrote:
> The Microsoft core fonts (Arial, Times New Roman, Courier New, Tahoma
> etc.) only contain OpenType Layout code for complex scripts.

A small correction: the core fonts that ship with Windows Vista do
contain OpenType Layout code for Latin, Greek and Cyrillic, but only for
the purely linguistic features ("ccmp", "mark" and "mkmk", and of
course, "kern"). The "liga" feature is only implemented for the Arabic
script -- for the reasons I explained before.

--

Adam Twardoch
| Language Typography Unicode Fonts OpenType
| twardoch.com | silesian.com | fontlab.net

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or
insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
(Hunter S. Thompson)