[XeTeX] Font transparency

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 11:29:14 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Will Robertson wrote:
> Nicolas Vaughan <nivaca at ...> writes:
>
>> I've been trying to replicate Will Robertson's font transparency
>> example (in p.11 of the lastest fontenc manual), without success.
>> I get no transparency efect at all. Is transparency a typeface-
>> specific feature?
>
> I'm afraid this feature is only supported by the xdv2pdf driver on Mac OS X;
> I've added a sentence in the documentation mentioning this. I hope that the
> xdvipdfmx driver might support this one day as the feature is quite neat.

Hello,

Do not ask me how since I don't speak LaTeX, but I bet that you can
get transparent fonts with some macro package. This tiny ConTeXt
example uses xdvipdfmx and generates transparent text without any
problem. I'm sure that there's an equivalent way to do the same in
XeLaTeX.

\setupcolors[state=start]
\definecolor[c1][r=1,t=.5,a=1]
\definecolor[c2][g=1,t=.5,a=1]
\definecolor[c3][b=1,t=.5,a=1]

\def\test#1#2{\hbox to 1ex{\color[#1]{#2}\hss}}
\starttext
\hbox{\test{c1}{this}\test{c2}{is}\test{c3}{transparent}}
\stoptext

Mojca