[XeTeX] compiling: No rule to make target `xetex'

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Sun Jan 25 14:23:45 CET 2009

On 25 Jan 2009, at 10:52, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:13 AM, وفا خلیقی wrote:
>> Are the following software installed:
>>
>> gcc, g++, bison, flex, libfontconfig1-dev
>>
>> ?
>
> The last one was missing. Thanks a lot, the compilation works OK now.
> It's just soooooo weird that the error message didn't give any clue
> about what could be wrong.
>
> Jonathan - would it make sense to issue some error message saying
> "libfontconfig1-dev is missing, xetex cannot be compiled" (or
> something equivalent, as libfontconfig1-dev is probably
> debian-specific name)?

This ought to give an error message during the configure stage, before
it even attempts the actual make.

I'm pretty sure there's a check for fontconfig, but I guess the
overall build script doesn't halt if that fails, so that's what needs
to be corrected. It might mean that the configure script itself needs
to be updated (but with care, as fontconfig is not a requirement on
all platforms), or it might just be a question of checking the return
code properly in the overall shell script.