[XeTeX] Tabulated RTL poetry

Gareth Hughes garzohugo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 13:01:39 CET 2009

Dear friends,

I am writing an article that requires typesetting lengthy (each longer
than a page) Syriac (right-to-left) poems. It would be nice to use a
decent 'verse' environment for them, to provide occasional line
numbering etc. However, the main problem is that the poems have a
regular caesura in the middle of each line, and this should be typeset
as a tabulated space, so that the second halves of each line are
vertically right-aligned with each other. The obvious thing to use is a
tabular environment, but this creates awkward clashes either with the
verse environment or the directionality. Should/could I simply define a
command to set following text an absolute length from the right margin,
without considering the text that is already there?

Thanks,

Gareth.

--
Gareth Hughes