[XeTeX] can you advise me about Chinese fonts and xelatex?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Jan 23 12:50:40 CET 2009

Am 23.01.2009 um 06:48 schrieb Paul Johnson:

> As for the rest of your note, I can't understand what you mean.  Do
> you mean to say you think Sun-ExtA is more attractive than Firefly?

No, this is not my intention. I was trying to point out that this
font has pretty complete CJK blocks (actually 50,000 out of 60,000
assigned code points in the BMP are filled with glyphs). One
advantage of Sun-Ext is also that it provides bitmaps of some sizes
for screen use – and the Western Latin, Greek, or Cyrillic glyphs
have a reasonable size, i.e., they are not of an ugly large size.
(BTW, I prefer to use FontForge to see what a font offers. It does
not blend in glyphs from other fonts to stop gaps. So it's clear that
Times New Roman has no CJK glyphs, it adds some Arabic and Hebrew
support.)

> Today, one of my former students who is in Taiwan wrote and said that
> he found the output from CJK-Latex with the cwkc fonts to be adequate
> in PDF. I found the cwkc font in the cwTeX collection of fonts for
> latex.  Those are postscript type 1 fonts and I'm comparing them.
> However, it appears to me that xelatex cannot use those fonts because
> they are type 1.  I'm looking to see if I can find a true/open type
> version of cwkc to use that with xelatex.

Xdvipdfmx is able to handle PostScript fonts, but I am not sure
whether it's able to use the fractioned encodings scheme of CJK-
LaTeX: 10,000 characters are encoded in 40 font particles with 40
different encodings!

--
Greetings

   Pete