[XeTeX] can you advise me about Chinese fonts and xelatex?

Andrew Moschou andmos at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 04:55:08 CET 2009

I don't have time to thoroughly analyse this now, but I will quickly say
that the missing character issue is related to Simplified vs Traditional. If
you are writing traditional text with a simplified font (or simplified text
with a traditional font), there will be some missing characters and get only
those that are common to both sets. For fonts in the "songti" style, a
freely available font I know is SimSun Founder Extended (but that's a huge
font with something like 80000 characters for classical works and
comprehensive dictionaries, most Chinese fonts have only a few thousand
characters). I'll write something more later.

Andrew