[XeTeX] Unicode XeTeX Editor for Windows

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 22:52:01 CET 2009

Olly Powell wrote:
> I too am a fan of Jedit,  but I prefered TeXniccentre until this unicode issue came along.    I'm currently using "Texmaker"  http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/download.html  It supports unicode, but has a few other bugs, like not closing down the old pdf before making the new one, and crashing if you run latex with the wrong file in place.
>
> I have a question though.  Suppose I used Jedit, or some other non-latex editor.   How do I actually access miktex?   How do we tell the pdf file to close, xetex to start, the new pdf file to open, bibtex to run etc...
>
> Appologies for my ignorance, and my use of an inferior operating system.

Your problem is not so much running MiKTeX (command line "pdflatex
<whatever-file>" if nothing else), more closing PDF files, etc.  I'm
guessing you use Acrobat rather than something that doesn't lock the
file (for example Sumatra).  WinEdt manages to close Acrobat using DDE
commands, but I'm not sure this is too easy to do without a quite
advanced scripting system.

(Hence I use TeXworks!)
--
Joseph Wright