[XeTeX] Symbol conflict

Nicolas Vaughan nivaca at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 12:24:55 CET 2009

Hello,
I've been moving from LaTeX to XeLaTeX, but sometimes get some odd results.
(I'm using an updated version of TeX Live 2008 in a Windows Vista machine.)
For example, when using in the same file the packages amsmath and amssymb, I
get an error notice of symbol collision (which does not occur in "plain"
LaTeX). Somewhere I read that changing the loading order of those packages
will solve this issue, but that didn't help me.
I thus had to rename the conflicting symbols in the following manner:

\usepackage{amsmath}
\def\savesymbol#1{%
  \expandafter\let\expandafter\origsym\expandafter=\csname#1\endcsname
  \expandafter\let\csname orig#1\endcsname=\origsym
  \expandafter\let\csname#1\endcsname=\relax
  }
\savesymbol{Finv}
\savesymbol{Game}
\savesymbol{beth}
\savesymbol{gimel}
\savesymbol{daleth}
\usepackage{amssymb}

Does anybody knows why this happens? Can it be solved otherwise?

Thanks in advance! Cheers!
Nicolas Vaughan