[XeTeX] Full height lines

Jeff Marion jeff.marion at tinyprints.com
Wed Jan 14 15:15:26 CET 2009

Hi All,

I'm trying to replicate the behavior of a non-tex based renderer and
have each line of text take up a "full" line in the current font. So all
else being equal, "Foo" and "oo" would render with the same baseline
position, rather than the usual tex behavior of the "oo" shifting up.

I'm able to achieve almost what I need by bottom aligning text within a
minipage, descenders flow out (good) and my baseline is unaffected by
height changes. Unfortunately it's necessary to have the text be top
aligned.

Does anyone know of anyway to do this or something similar? I've gone
through my copy of The TextBook twice now and scoured the web looking
for any way to do this. I know the standard fontdimens don't expose
enough data to do it but is there more metrics data available that I can
pull possibly?

Any help is appreciated.

-Jeff

----- Example Script Follows -----

\documentclass{letter}
\usepackage[papersize={3.944in,4.847in},total={1.944in,
2.847in},margin=1in,nohead,nofoot]{geometry}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\pagestyle{empty}
\setmainfont{Machia}
\renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{1.2}
\begin{document}
    \begin{minipage}[b][2.778in][t]{1.771in}
        \fontsize{48bp}{48bp}\selectfont
        \begin{flushleft}Foo\end{flushleft}
    \end{minipage}
\end{document}