[XeTeX] Font Problems & xdv2pdf vs xdv2pdfmx (with FAQ entry suggestion)

Freek Dijkstra software at macfreek.nl
Thu Jan 8 22:33:29 CET 2009

Herbert Schulz wrote:

> Which TeX distribution are you using? If you are using MacTeX 2008 the
> default was changed to xdvpdfmx.

I recently change to TeXLive 2008. I'm using TextMate, which simply
calls xelatex from a shell script.

Ah, I found me problem. My default behaviour was a bit of both: I
explicitly used the full path for xelatex, but my $PATH variable still
pointed to the older TexLive 2007 distro. This apparently lead to a
behaviour similar to:

 /usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/universal-darwin/xelatex test
[...]
Output file removed.

Or:

 /usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/universal-darwin/xelatex \
 -output-driver=/opt/local/bin/xdvipdfmx  test
[...]
** ERROR ** Cannot proceed without the "native" font: CMUSerif-Roman
(CMU Serif Roman)...
Output file removed.

The error is not the same, but mixing two distribs does not seem wise
and I'm sure this was the problem.

Explicitly specifying the full path works fine:

 /usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/universal-darwin/xelatex \
 -output-driver="/usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/universal-darwin/xdvipdfmx"
test

Thanks again,
Freek Dijkstra