[XeTeX] Font Problems & xdv2pdf vs xdv2pdfmx (with FAQ entry suggestion)

Freek Dijkstra software at macfreek.nl
Thu Jan 8 21:13:55 CET 2009

Freek Dijkstra asked:

>> Is it possible to use xdv2pdfmx instead of xdv2pdf from xelatex?
>> E.g. something like "xelatex --use-xdv2pdfmx test"?

Ulrike Fischer answered:

> You can use xelatex --output-driver=....

Thanks for the pointer. It works!

> I don't know xdv2pdfmx.

My fault, I meant to write xdvipdfmx.

> The default driver in newer (current)
> versions of xetex is xdvipdfmx.

I have XeTeX 0.999.6 on a Mac, which uses xdv2pdf by default. I read
somewhere that this is only so on the Mac.

The faulty behaviour of xdv2pdf on my Mac, and the fact that xdvipdfmx
is apparently default elsewhere makes me wonder why xdvipdfmx isn't also
the default on the Mac.

Someone any clue?

Who is responsible for the FAQ? Does it make sense to contact him/her
directly with the suggestion with my problem and resolution?

Regards,
Freek Dijkstra