[XeTeX] adding some diacritics to a font

François Patte francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr
Wed Jan 7 20:58:14 CET 2009

Le 07.01.2009 17:14, Fr. Michael Gilmary a écrit :
> Hi François:
>

> Yesterday I sent you some code that works with Garamond Premier Pro to
> produce the diacritics you were hoping to use.
>
> Since I was pressed for time, I was unable to give the code for the
> other glyphs you were hoping to combine, the dot *over* the letter n.
> Nor was I able to give credit where it's due.
>
> The code submitted yesterday, as well as what's below, was sent into
> this list last fall by Juan Acevedo (25 Aug 2008), who got it from the
> XeTeX archives long ago from no less a figure that JK himself!
>
> I slightly modified the Jonathan's code below (named "\def\vontop") so
> that it looks best.
>
> So, for Garamond Premier Pro's own "dot above" glyph (Unicode 02D9), to
> combine with n:
>

> \def\dotontop#1{\leavevmode \vtop{\offinterlineskip \ialign{##\cr #1\cr
>    \setbox0=\hbox{\hbox{\char"02D9}}\ht0=0pt\dp0=0pt\hidewidth\box0
> \hidewidth\cr}}}

Thanks Michael, for these macros, but I have some problem: the one you
sent yesterday doesn't work properly: I get a mixing of a w with an n
with a trema above....?????

The \dotontop you sent today works.

Ross system also works, but the difference is that with Ross'
construction, italics are not working and I don't know why.

Italics are working with your macros but with a strange behaviour: there
is a big space added before the letter with dot (over or under).

I try to undertand the thread from 2005 archives but it is quite
complicated for me....

Thanks for helping.

Best regards

François