[XeTeX] TeX Live 2003 or 2008?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Jan 7 15:21:17 CET 2009

On Jan 7, 2009, at 8:07 AM, Tony Hellmann wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've been lurking for a month now, learning all I can. I bought a
> copy of
> the 4 book boxed set that contains Guide to LaTeX, The LaTeX
> Companion, The
> LaTeX Graphics Companion, and The LaTeX Web Companion.
>
> This leads me to my question. The set came with a copy of the TeX
> Live 2003
> CD. I also have an .iso of TeX Live 2008 on my hard drive. I'm
> interested in
> using XeTeX for Korean fonts.
>
> I'm concerned that if I install TeX 2008, it won't match up exactly
> with the
> books I've purchased. However, if I install TeX 2003, I'll be
> missing some
> functionality, including XeTeX, which comes with the 2008 CD, right?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Tony

Howdy,

Definitely go with TeX Live 2008! There have been many bug fixes,
updates and new packages since 2003 and you should check out the
documentation (texdoc <packagename> works most of the time) anyway. If
you have the 2nd edition of The LaTeX Companion you're not far off.
YOu can always ask on the many lists and news groups if there is a
problem you can't solve or find an answer for on line.

You don't say what platform you're using. MacTeX is a one click way of
installing TeX Live and some GUI applications, etc., on a Mac and
there are easy installers (sorry, I'm not familiar with Windows) for
Windows.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)