[XeTeX] \ifFontExists

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Fri Jan 2 18:54:12 CET 2009

On Jan 2, 2009, at 12:32 PM, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:

> This is an excellent topic for someone willing to apply fuzzy set
> theory to
> typography. The basic idea is to define an ideal font (i.e., a font
> where
> glyphs have the most standard form) and then to define similarity
> degrees, etc. But I will stop here.

Well, there was Bauermeister's ``PANOSE'' system (I believe HP now
owns the license for it), which matches fonts up by appearance and
allows a system to choose an alternative font based on how close it
matches --- years ago I turned off ATM on a Windows machine and PANOSE
matched fonts so closely I didn't realize it until I examined the
printout closely.

William

--
William Adams