[XeTeX] \ifFontExists

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Fri Jan 2 18:32:48 CET 2009

Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 02.01.2009 um 16:00 schrieb Jonathan Kew:
>
>> I don't want the typesetting program silently making font
>> substitution choices for me
>

> And therefore you would give away the PDF document instead of its
> source ...
>

> I was thinking of the reason why Arno would need to check whether a
> font exists.

I can answer this ;)
I wrote a package that uses some characters like • in the code. The
lmodern or cm-super fonts don’t have this symbol, so it will not appear
in the pdf generated from the dtx, while the sty is fine. But it is
senseless that nobody could see this •, so I use the DejaVu Sans in the
documentation. If someone wants to compile the dtx to get the sty and
does not have the DejaVu Sans, he gets an error and cannot create the
sty – but DajaVu Sans is not needed for the code itself…
Hope this is clear anyhow…

> In this uncertain situation, in which no exact knowledge
> of the final look exists, a "close match" could be helpful.

I don’t think, this would be really usefull. I needed the
”\ifFontExists“ to choose between two fonts, knowing exactly what each
looks like. I don’t want to substitute one being similar.

Arno