[XeTeX] \ifFontExists

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 2 18:32:44 CET 2009

First of all Happy New Year to everybody!

> But how would we define "matches closely"? How do you measure the
> "closeness" of fonts, and how do you decide what is "close enough" to
> meet the needs of a typesetting job? And what if the operating system
> doesn't have a font that is "close enough", by whatever measure of
> distance we use?

This is an excellent topic for someone willing to apply fuzzy set theory to
typography. The basic idea is to define an ideal font (i.e., a font where
glyphs have the most standard form) and then to define similarity
degrees, etc. But I will stop here.

A.S.

Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece