[XeTeX] \ifFontExists

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Jan 2 16:18:40 CET 2009

Am 02.01.2009 um 16:00 schrieb Jonathan Kew:

> I don't want the typesetting program silently making font
> substitution choices for me

And therefore you would give away the PDF document instead of its
source ...

I was thinking of the reason why Arno would need to check whether a
font exists. In this uncertain situation, in which no exact knowledge
of the final look exists, a "close match" could be helpful. Besides,
even if a font has the same name, it is not guaranteed that the final
look on your (up-to-date) system will closely match that on my (old
and used) system. Therefore software was written to switch on or off
fonts on a system, for example in a print shop, where the employees
try to (re-)establish the template's look with all the fonts they
have on their output.

IOW: let's keep document sources for interchange (or can one say:
intercourse with the other system?) in Times, Helvetica, and Courier
– or Latin Modern!

--
Greetings

   Pete