[XeTeX] Multi column Table of Contents

Erwin Ochsenmeier ochsenmeier at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 12:41:10 CET 2009

On Feb 23, 2009, at 2:25 PM, Erwin Ochsenmeier wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion,
>
> multitoc does not seem to work, even with ifthen and multicols
> loaded. I tried in XeTeX and plain Latex, the TOC is blank, unless I
> am missing something from the pdf instructions.

Howdy,

You've got to compile the file at least twice. The first run captures
the information while the second run enters it into the TOC. You may
need more runs since entering the TOC may move things, etc.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Yes, I did remember about compiling several times for the TOC, even did a clean up and recompiling, to no avail.

Erwin Ochsenmeier wrote:

> multitoc does not seem to work, even with ifthen and multicols loaded.
> I tried in XeTeX and plain Latex, the TOC is blank, unless I am
> missing something from the pdf instructions.
>
> There does seem to be a problem with memoir and multicols on top of
> it. Even with begin{multicols} ?, memoir produces a TOC in a single
> column on a separate page.

I've used the multitoc with memoir without a problem. It might be
affected *where* it's loaded in your preamble --- but I think that might
matter only if you're using hyperref with it. (Always load hyperref last
in the preamble. I've got multitoc just before it).

> Anyway, what I'd really like to do is to have a TOC in twocolumn in a
> twocolumn document and without starting a new page.

That might require some tweaking of the internals from either memoir.cls
and/or multitoc.sty --- I haven't tried it. There's a separate list for
memoir stuff, isn't there? I don't have the URL.

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma

Most Holy Trinity Monastery
67 Dugway Road
Petersham, MA 01366-97255

No, no hyperref package. I tried a plain vanilla configuration as follows.

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

\documentclass[a4paper,11pt,twocolumn]{memoir}

\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\usepackage{xspace}

\usepackage{ifthen}
\usepackage{multicol}
\usepackage{multitoc}

…

Still does not work. Funny thing is that \tableofcontents starts on a new page in memoir while it should not be default and multicols does not produce multicols TOC in memoir, even if I comment out ifthen and multitoc.
Well, it's no big deal. Thanks for your suggestions