[XeTeX] XeLaTeX resolution

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Mon Feb 23 22:17:19 CET 2009

On 23 Feb 2009, at 20:24, Nicolas Vaughan wrote:

> Hi Mike,
> Thanks for your reply.
> So I shall not worry about my publisher's requirement if I use OTF?

For fonts (if you use TrueType or OpenType fonts) it certainly
shouldn't be an issue. Outline fonts like this are effectively
"infinite resolution".

I think the concern is with included images. If these are vector
graphics, no problem; but if they're bitmapped images (such as scanned
photos or line-art) then resolution is an issue. But AFAIK, xetex/
xdvipdfmx won't change them, it will just include the image data as
provided, with appropriate positioning and scaling. So you just need
to make sure your original PNG or JPG images are sufficiently high
resolution (allowing for scaling, if you're not placing them at their
original full size) to meet the publisher's requirements.

1200dpi would be appropriate for line art; for scanned color photos,
you shouldn't need anywhere near as high dpi because of the screening
processes involved.