[XeTeX] XeLaTeX resolution

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Mon Feb 23 19:54:13 CET 2009

Nicolas,

<<Yeah, its for paper printing. My publisher has required from me at
least 1200 dpi>>

This should only matter if you use bitmapped fonts - TTF and OTF are
vector fonts, and will print at whichever resolution the print job has
been set up for (so it's not inherent to the pdf file, it can be printed
at any resolution the print job says it should be generating data for...
and your publisher should know this).

If, however, you use bitmap fonts in your book, then you might have a
problem. You cannot "upscale" bitmap fonts, you're either going to have
to find TTF/OTF copies of the fonts in question, or find 1200dpi bitmap
copies of them instead (alternatively, if they're free fonts with a
license that allowed editing, edit them by hand in fontforge or the like
to be 1200 dpi)

- Mike "Pomax" Kamermans
www.nihongoresources.com