[XeTeX] Symbol fonts?

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Wed Feb 18 22:58:32 CET 2009

On 18 Feb 2009, at 21:44, Adam Twardoch wrote:

> Patrick Carr wrote:
>> Aha! I have two Minion Pros, the regular set that came with Adobe CS3
>> and Minion Pro Opticals. (The regular ones were all deactivated
>> except
>> the Bold.) For reasons beyond my ken, they have that glyph in
>> different slots: 515 in the regular set and 1118 in the opticals.
>> Since they both have the same Postscript name, the apple font system
>> must just be picking one.
>
> The small Minion Pro set that came with CS3 must be version 2.x, which
> was extended and updated by Adobe by adding extra glyphs and fixing
> some
> problems. The Minion Pro Opticals set is version 1.x which is older --
> but Adobe have not yet updated the entire Opticals family to version
> 2.x
> to my knowledge, just the "core set".
>
> I recommend that you use:
>
> \XeTeXglyph\XeTeXglyphindex "bullet.021"
>
> (\XeTeXglyphindex takes a glyph name as the argument and returns the
> glyph index, \XeTeXglyph takes a glyph index as the argument and
> returns
> the glyph).

Right. I think the xltxtra package even provides a \namedglyph macro
or something like that to encapsulate this.

> Glyph indices are not at all portable, not even across font versions.
> Glyphnames are slightly more portable, but ideally, you should be
> accessing this glyph through the bullet character and the 21st variant
> within the "ornm" OpenType Layout feature.

Agreed.

> But I don't know how to
> express it in XeTeX :)

It should work to say something like (in plain XeTeX):

   \font\ornament="Minion Pro:+ornm=21"  {\ornament •}

or in xelatex, if you've already selected the font:

   {\addfontfeature{RawFeature={+ornm=21}}•}