[XeTeX] Transliteration mapping for Greek ?

Benct Philip Jonsson bpj at melroch.se
Wed Feb 18 15:04:27 CET 2009

J.A.J. Pater wrote:
> Benct Philip Jonsson schreef:
>  > Absolutely.  I hope there will come a keyboard
>  > which is actually a touch screen which can not
>  > only change the labels on the 'keys' according
>  > to the currently selected keyboard layout but
>  > also change the layout of the 'keys' themselves
>  > according to the task at hand.
>
>  > Not so long ago there was some talk about a
>  > keyboard where each key had a small LCD screen,
>  > but speaking ATM a touchscreen 'keyboard'
>  > seems better!
>
> You mean something like this:
> http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/ ?

Exactly that.

>  > Yes as I said that's what I do, though I do it with
>  > Perl scripts which also can be used as filters in vim.

> Is it possible to make these scripts available?

In principle, though they are quite ugly hacks! :-)
I'd like to add some options and stuff if I were to
make them public -- in case of the Greek one explicitly
a smarter handling of breathings, so that with the default
option you'd write "epí" or "ep'i" and get "ἐπί".  As it is
you *have* to write ",epí"  and ".o" for "ὁ" which works
for me (exploiting the fact that punctuation characters
seldom appear before letters) but is rather inelegant!

>  > The reason I use XeLaTeX is that at *some* point in
>  > my editing process I do want to have everything in
>  > Unicode.
>
> Do you have experience with vim and (polytonic ancient) greek?

I'm a-getting it!

> Because I find it hard to see on the screen what accents (like spiriti
> asper/lenis)
> letters have.

Try :h guifont !

I made my own rather quaint vim keymap for polytonic Greek
if you are interested.  Rather than sharing it I can explain
the principle -- offlist, since it is at best tangentially
XeTeX related!

/BP