[XeTeX] Symbol fonts?

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Tue Feb 17 20:08:19 CET 2009

On 17 Feb 2009, at 18:58, Nicolas Vaughan wrote:

> Hi,
> I've been unsuccessfully trying to use symbol OpenType fonts in
> XeTeX. I only get little squares as a result.
> E.g.,
>
> \fontspec[Scale=MatchLowercase]{Rococo Ornaments One MT}
> 1234567890
> ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWYXZ
> abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwyxz
>
> Is there any trick for loading this fonts for XeTeX?

I'm not familiar with this particular font, but most likely the
symbols aren't encoded as Latin letters and numerals, etc., but
instead (more correctly) with Unicode values in the private use area.
Try character codes such as \char"F041 and see if that produces
anything.

You can use a tool such as SIL ViewGlyph <http://scripts.sil.org/ViewGlyph_home