[XeTeX] Fonts partially available in XeTeX but 'fully' available in Inkscape

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Thu Feb 12 13:34:41 CET 2009

On 12 Feb 2009, at 12:09, Pander wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When I use a font like Titr or Homa in XeTeX, it will only print the
> numbers 0123456789 but no glyphs for ABC... However, in Inkscape it
> does
> have glyphs for ABC.
>
> Are these provided via font substitution according to the Panose
> classification or is something else going on becaue they don't look
> like
> your standard FreeSans or FreeSerif?

I don't know anything about those particular fonts, but almost
certainly Inkscape is substituting another font when the one you've
specified doesn't support the characters. Look at the fonts with a
font editor (e.g., fontforge) to see what characters they actually
include. XeTeX does not "magically" substitute fonts; you get what you
ask for. (Are there "missing character" messages in the log?)