[XeTeX] Size of math font

S. Ekin Kocabas kocabas at stanford.edu
Tue Feb 10 06:49:46 CET 2009

I once did this for the charter fonts, which I thought fit the Adobe Caslon
Pro quite nicely. I guess for the pazo fonts the following files would need
to be modified (I use MikTeX under XP) (back them up first, in case
something goes wrong).

/Program Files/MiKTeX 2.7/tex/latex/psnfss/ot1zplm.fd
/Program Files/MiKTeX 2.7/tex/latex/psnfss/omlzplm.fd
/Program Files/MiKTeX 2.7/tex/latex/psnfss/omszplm.fd
/Program Files/MiKTeX 2.7/tex/latex/psnfss/omxzplm.fd

Each of these files have lines that look like

\DeclareFontShape{OT1}{zplm}{m}{n}{
   <-> zplmr7t
}{}

You would want to modify those commands (\DeclareFontShape) (and only those
I think) such that they look like the following

\DeclareFontShape{OT1}{zplm}{m}{n}{
   <-> *s * [0.90]* zplmr7t
}{}

Here, the red, bold part scales the font by 90%.

Modify the scaling number until it fits nicely with Garamond.

After each modification, you may need to rebuild your font database as well.
I can't remember whether I did that or not.

There is possibly a more elegant way of doing this, but I don't know how.
Note that, if you ever modify/upgrade your tex installation, you may need to
do this again, therefore it's good to note down the changes you make to each
file.

I hope this helps.

Ekin