[XeTeX] Font protrusion --- new or old ?

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Mon Feb 9 09:06:14 CET 2009

On 9 Feb 2009, at 00:19, Nicolas Vaughan wrote:

> @ Jonathan,
> Why do you say ---as you have been quoted--- that font protrusion
> could be supported as an OpenType feature, and not directly through
> the XeTeX engine?

Doing a good job of font protrusion requires per-glyph metrics that
specify how much to adjust the sidebearings at line edges. As there
are already opentype features defined for exactly this information,
that's how it should be provided. I don't want to duplicate
information in a custom, xetex-specific form when there is already a
standard defined for it.

However, there would *also* need to be modifications to the xetex
engine, as it does not currently have any support for automatically
applying these features only in the appropriate places.

It's also true that people will want to be able to have protrusion
even with fonts that don't provide optical bounds features, so that
would mean having some alternative way to specify the protrusion data.
But I don't want to simply do something "private" within xetex and
ignore the relevant opentype specification.

(Adam T, are you listening? Do you know of any "pro" fonts that
actually support opbd, or has this not actually be implemented
anywhere?)