[XeTeX] Font protrusion --- new or old ?

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Sun Feb 8 11:13:45 CET 2009

On 8 Feb 2009, at 10:36, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:

>> Well, it wouldn't require a "re-write of xetex", it's an extension
>> that could be implemented within the existing program. I'm open to
>> considering a patch, if anyone out there cares to do it. :)  (If I
>> didn't have to spend time earning a living, I'd have tackled it by
>> now!)
>
> Could be it possible to "port" pdfTeX's code that handle micro-
> typographic
> features into XeTeX?

It would not be a trivial copying of the code, as pdftex is dealing
with 8-bit character codes, whereas xetex would need to apply
protrusion at the level of glyphs, after opentype/aat/graphite layout
has been applied. So both the configuration of the feature, and the
actual implementation, would need to be redesigned.