[XeTeX] Font protrusion --- new or old ?

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Sat Feb 7 23:16:49 CET 2009

On 7 Feb 2009, at 19:43, William Adams wrote:

> The one thing which I would note is that one can do this sort of thing
> (to a certain degree) at the macro level --- see Donald Knuth's
> description of hanging punctuation as ``an easier problem'' in _The
> TeXbook_ and Peter Wilson's hanging package which enables this for
> LaTeX.

That's true, although doing such things at the macro level carries a
risk of undesired interactions with other packages.

I wonder if a similar approach to hanging punctuation could be
implemented using \XeTeXinterchartoks, though; that might be less
intrusive as it doesn't involve making the characters active.

> That's something to use anyway while we wait for a re-write of xetex
> or for luatex to be finished.

Well, it wouldn't require a "re-write of xetex", it's an extension
that could be implemented within the existing program. I'm open to
considering a patch, if anyone out there cares to do it. :)  (If I
didn't have to spend time earning a living, I'd have tackled it by now!)