[XeTeX] Font protrusion --- new or old ?

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Sat Feb 7 18:16:12 CET 2009

On 7 Feb 2009, at 17:43, Rembrandt Wolpert wrote:

> Trying it out, and inserting
>
> \usepackage{microtype}
> \setmainfont{Garamond Premier Pro:+opbd}
>
> the result (linebreaks, hyphenated words) looks quite different from
> a "straight" version without the package and the opbd.

Different, perhaps. Correct? I very much doubt it.

Does Garamond Premier Pro include an 'opbd' feature? The version I
have doesn't support this. But even if it did, the result would still
be wrong, because this feature shouldn't be applied to all the text
but only at the line edges. Moreover, it requires a specialized engine
that knows that it means to apply the 'lfbd' or 'rtbd' feature
depending on position. There's no way this can have worked in XeTeX in
the way the Adobe feature specification says, as the code hasn't been
written.

As for the microtype package, didn't it give you a warning to say that
it only works with pdftex?

Perhaps you were really just comparing Garamond with Computer Modern,
perhaps?