[XeTeX] XeLaTeX aborts without proper notification for large files

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Tue Feb 3 14:41:46 CET 2009

On 3 Feb 2009, at 13:07, Pander wrote:

> Jonathan Kew wrote:

>>> Make a python script that iterates over all the fonts and
>>> generates a
>>> TeX file using all those fonts. It works fine, but only up to a
>>> certain
>>> file size.
>>>
>>> What parameters do I need to tweek in order to be able to
>>> successfully
>>> run xelatex?
>>
>> There's a font_max parameter (see texmf.cnf) that is probably set to
>> 5000; this is the maximum number of separate \font definitions that
>> TeX can handle in a job.
>
> in /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf is
>
> % Total number of fonts. Must be >= 50 and <= 2000 (without tex.ch
> changes).
> font_max = 2000
>
> How do I increate this over 2000 since my Ubuntu system does not
> have a
> tex.ch?

tex.ch is part of the source code; this is a compile-time constant. So
you'd have to rebuild from source. I'm not sure how far this can be
increased without encountering other limitations; there might be
limits to the size of some data structures, but I don't remember
offhand.

I still think it would be wiser to process the fonts in smaller
batches. Even if you can create a PDF with several thousand embedded
fonts, I wouldn't be surprised if some viewing software, printers,
etc. have problems with it.