[XeTeX] polyglossia: \newXeTeXintercharclass undefined

Igor Kotelnikov killedinaction at live.ru
Wed Dec 30 05:28:52 CET 2009

As I wrote earlier, I re-build xelatex.fmt with the most new xelatex.ini. I've checked that xelatex. ini explicitly defines the \XeTeXintercharclass command, but xelatex.exe still complains that
\XeTeXintercharclass is not defined. Then, I copied the following fragment from xelatex. ini to my test file (attached to this post) before \usepackage{polyglossia}.

% ===========================================================
%
% Allocator for \XeTeXintercharclass values, from Enrico Gregorio
%
\catcode`\@=11
\newcount\xe at alloc@intercharclass % allocates intercharclass
\xe at alloc@intercharclass=\thr@@ % from 4 (1,2 and 3 are used by CJK, AFAIK)
\def\xe at alloc@#1#2#3#4#5{\global\advance#1\@ne
 \xe at ch@ck#1#4#2% make sure there's still room
 \allocationnumber#1%
 \global#3#5\allocationnumber
 \wlog{\string#5=\string#2\the\allocationnumber}}
\def\xe at ch@ck#1#2#3{%
 \ifnum#1<#2\else
  \errmessage{No room for a new #3}%
 \fi}
\def\newXeTeXintercharclass{%
 \xe at alloc@\xe at alloc@intercharclass\XeTeXintercharclass\chardef\@cclv} %at most 254
\catcode`\@=12

And what did I see? The compilation went smothly!  I've double checked that xelatex.ini had been used for building xelatex.fmt (by removing it for a moment from the search path) so I don't understand, why the same fragment in xelatex.ini seems to not work. Any idea?