[XeTeX] Arial and Times New Roman license?

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 24 05:47:14 CET 2009

> BTW, there are basically two approaches for the hardware
> aspect of this problem:
> 1) Maintain hardware to read the old tapes, 8" floppies,
> etc.

At the university where I studied we had a little museum, and one of the pertual problems, according to the custodians, was for instance that computer hardware was not manufactured to last. For example, ribbon-wires are usually made of a type of plastic which will dry out and break, and replacements are difficult, if not impossible to get. They had as another famous example the keyboard of one of the first Macs, which was connected by some wiring which was almost impossible to replace but very fragile, and even under controlled conditions the wires would cause short-circuits after a while.

The moral of the story: there has to be a (small) market for "machines to read and write various old media" :-))

Cheers,
Wilfred

> 2) Migrate the data to new media.

> There are also software issues, like how do you read a
> Wordstar 1.0 document once you have it from whatever media
> you stored it on.  Storing documents as LaTeX source is
> one approach, presuming you can do something with LaTeX (or
> at least make sense of the markup) a thousand years from
> now.  In general, though, XML is the currently
> preferred markup for archiving text documents.  (Binary
> documents, such as images, are obviously a much bigger
> problem.)
> --    Mike Maxwell
>    What good is a universe without somebody
> around to look at it?
>    --Robert Dicke, Princeton physicist

      Get your preferred Email name!