[XeTeX] Arial and Times New Roman license?

Keith J. Schultz keithjschultz at web.de
Wed Dec 23 20:20:00 CET 2009

Am 23.12.2009 um 13:44 schrieb George N. White III:

> Theses and many government documents need to be preserved for all
> eternity.  Paper copies don't last that well, but
> with electronic storage it should be possible to produce paper copies
> when needed for decades to come.   For that to
> work, you need to ensure that the fonts will be available in the font
> technologies being used 2000 years from now.  The
> chances for success are much better if the document used widely
> available fonts, and if there are large collections of
> historical documents that use the same set of fonts, then the effort
> to implement the fonts (which by then will be
> of interest only to scholars because normal documents will use
> alphabets that don't exist today) in the current technology can be
> amortized across a larger base.
	I am confused!!  There are paper copies centuries old. Most electronic
	copies do not even last a have a century. try getting archive read from
	a old magnetic tape drive or old spindles. Hard to find the hardware for
	that. Also, what is the life time of a hard drive!
	What is the life time of the software for a document. say wordstar or word 2.0
	format, WP. ?

	The only way these documents can be conserved is by reformating them to the newer
	technologies. Otherwise you might have a copy, but not the technology to display
	them.

	regards
		Keith