[XeTeX] Arial and Times New Roman license?

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Wed Dec 23 14:59:47 CET 2009

Keith,
>> Embedding for fonts comes in four flavours: not allowed, allowed for read-only documents (which "installs" the embedded font for the duration of document viewing), allowed for editable documents (also "installs" the embedded font for the duration of document viewing), and unconditionally allowed (meaning it allows installing the embedded font on your own system).
>>
> I am assuming you are talking licenses.

Sort of, but not quite; in this case we're talking "embedding
permissions" - modern fonts have a plethora of properties that can be
set, and "how this font may be embedded" is one of those properties,
with four possible values. If you have something that lets you inspect
the font's properties, you should be able to find out which fonts have
what embedding permission set. In windows you can examine this via the
Font Properties Extension
(http://www.microsoft.com/typography/TrueTypeProperty21.mspx), in *nix I
would be highly surprised if FontForge didn't let you examine (and set)
this value, although I've not tried that myself.

- Mike