[XeTeX] Syriac abbreviations, and issues with polyglossia, fontspec and bidi

David J. Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Tue Dec 22 01:53:54 CET 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gareth Hughes" <gareth.hughes at garzo.co.uk>
> In Syriac, abbreviations and numerals can be marked by an overline. For
> abbreviations, the overline often extends over the last few letters of
> the abbreviation. This overline is supposed to be invoked by the Unicode
> character U+070F Syriac Abbreviation Mark = SAM, but I cannot get the
> Meltho fonts (specifically the Serto fonts are relevant here) to support
> it properly. I'm told that the Meltho fonts display the abbreviation
> mark correctly in MS Word.

Dear Gareth,

I don't think this is a font issue.  I don't know Syriac, but your question
intrigued me since I am interested in OpenType and the various ways it
handles language issues.  I downloaded Serto Jerusalem and it does indeed
display the abbreviation marker correctly in Word (2007, running under Vista
SP1).  I copied your example from the email and pasted into Word and also
into Notepad -- that worked too.

I am not aware of any feature that could be put into a _font_ (at least an
OT font--AAT is another matter) that would do what needs to be done in this
case.  If I understand correctly, the convention is to print the line, with
three dots, from the beginning of the abbreviation to the end of the word.
Applications deal with things like finding the end of words (to determine
line breaks, etc.); fonts do not, AFAIK.  There must be quite a bit of
variability in terms of the length of the line.  That and the word end issue
seem to me to call for the involvement of something at a higher level than
the font.  The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that the ICU
renderer that XeTeX uses may be at fault.  On Windows, Uniscribe handles
such things; the fact that Syriac works in Notepad, which is a very basic
editor with few capabilities of its own, suggests to me that it's the
renderer that handles this.  Maybe someone more familiar with ICU than I can
address this.

Just to be sure, I opened Serto Jerusalem in Fontlab and took a quick look
around the OT tables.  I didn't see anything involving U+070F that looked
like it would control the display of the abbreviation.  There is a high
overline-ish charcter and a couple of different round bullets that might be
used to construct an abbreviation marker, but that's all I saw.

Are you aware of anyone who has used the Syriac abbreviation marker
successfully with XeTeX?  If so, what fonts have they used, and on Mac or
Windows/Linux?

David