[XeTeX] XeLaTex and Times Ten fonts

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Sat Dec 19 03:05:23 CET 2009

Le 13 déc. 09 à 02:49, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> On 12 Dec 2009, at 09:22, André Bellaïche wrote:
>
>> I have three Times fonts on my mac: Times (Apple), Times New Roman,
>> Times Ten (bought from Linotype)
>>
>> \setmainfont{Times} and \setmainfont{Times New Roman} works
>> perfectly, but
>>
>> with \setmainfont{Times Ten} or \setmainfont{Times Ten LT}
>>
>> I get the following error message:
>>
>> ==============================
>> ** ERROR ** Invalid font: -1 (0)
>>
>> Output file removed.
>> )
>> Error 256 (driver return code) generating output;
>> file ESSAI2.pdf may not be valid.
>> Transcript written on ESSAI2.log.
>> ==============================
>>
>> Is this a known issue?
>>

> Is your Times Ten font is a "classic" Mac PostScript font (packaged
> as two parts, a PostScript font file with file type LWFN, containing
> the PostScript code in a series of resources, and a "suitcase" file
> of type FFIL containing bitmaps)? If so then yes, this is a known
> issue: the xdvipdfmx output driver does not handle LWFN fonts.

I cannot find the file type (LWFN, FFIL), as the Info file does not
contain this information.

I have 4 Font Suitcases (Bold, BoldItalic, Italic, Roman). For each
one an outline font and an afm file.

The structure of SC&OsF fonts seems to be much more complicated. See
the preceding message.

> If you really need to use this particular font rather than the other
> flavors of Times, the xdv2pdf driver should handle it, although
> there have been reports of this crashing on 10.6, so that might be a
> problem too. Also note that such a font is likely to have a much
> more limited character set than the newer Times or TNR fonts, and
> probably lacks automatic ligatures and kerning.
>
> JK

Do you mean these:

Times LT MM (Font Suitcase)
Times New Roman Bold Italic.ttf
Times New Roman Bold.ttf
Times New Roman Italic.ttf
Times New Roman.ttf
Times.dfont
TimesLTMM (outlinefont) ?

All have been issued together, on 3 Oct 2007, 4:17 or 4:18.

I really need a book about fonts (or fonts and Mac OS)

André