[XeTeX] TeXLive update issues

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Dec 15 20:37:55 CET 2009

Am 15.12.2009 um 19:39 schrieb Maxim Cournoyer:

> But I don't know how practical it would be to keep both installation.

It is. For example to be able to go back and see whether a suspected
faulty behaviour existed before and just was not recognised.

> You would have to differentiate the names from both install to make
> them in your path at
> the same time?

No, this is not necessary. UNIX has a more powerful concept: the
path(s) to the executables and their order or sequence.

> Or a "switch" variable to trigger the newer or older install. This
> would be easier to do.

And you would only be able to use either this, or that, or some other
version at one time...

With UNIX's PATH concept you can invoke different instances of GNU
Emacs for example and each will run in a different environment:

	env PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2009/bin/`uname -p`-`uname -s`:$PATH
MANPATH=/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf/doc/man: $MANPATH emacs
<options> -T "TeX Live 2009" &
	env PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/`uname -p`-`uname -s`:$PATH
MANPATH=/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/doc/man: $MANPATH emacs
<options> -T "TeX Live 2008" &
	env PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/`uname -p`-`uname -s`:$PATH
MANPATH=/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/doc/man: $MANPATH emacs
<options> -T "TeX Live 2007" &

(It's my guess that `uname -p`-`uname -s` gives the directory name
like "i586-linux" for example.) Provided that no RC script overrides
this setting it will be inherited by all processes created by GNU
Emacs or run in any of its internal shell buffers.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Atheism is a non prophet organization.