[XeTeX] XeTex: can't use font

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Tue Dec 15 13:12:15 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 02:48:01AM -0800, Michiel Kamermans wrote:
> Peter Dyballa wrote:
> >
> >>Apparently not, the "latest" version under Ubuntu 9.10 ia texlive 2007.
> >
> >Then get the xdvipdfmx sources, compile, install, and use them!
> >The bug is in xdvipdfmx, the utility which converts XeTeX's XDV
> >output format to PDF.
> >
> >Or use a modern and flexible OS, one that is not meant as some
> >year's fashion and after six months without support. TeX Live 2009
> >comes with an update manager programme which allows you to stay
> >up-to-date with what is published on CTAN, the Comprehensive TeX
> >Archive Network. You can also install TL '09 and forget the
> >ancient Ubuntu stuff (optionally freeing the disk from it).
>
> Wow, slow down on the OS hatred there O_o
>
> Anyway, Ubuntu and Debian have skipped TeX Live 2008, for whatever
> reason, and they're trying to package TeX Live 2009 at the moment.
> You have a few options: either compile a new version of xdvipdfmx,
> remove your TeXLive install and manuall install textlive-full 2009
> from the unstable package list
> (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/tex/texlive-full), or run
> another OS that does allow you to easily install TeX Live 2009
> (either via a VM, as additional boot OS, or on a different machine
> entirely).

None sense, texlive installer works just fine here. I can't see in what
sense Ubuntu doesn't allow you "to easily install TeX Live 2009".

That said, having texlive 2009 would be nice, but I don't know any OS
that provides official texlive 2009 packages right now (Fedora may be,
not sure though).

Regards,
 Khaled

--